Wednesday, June 3, 2009

4- Top Of The World

**********

"I think I'm done skating," I told him.

"I think I am, too", Pierre agreed. "I'll help you up." So he took my hands, and helped me stand up. We skated together (carefully) to the exit, where he surprised me by kissing me again.

After returning our skates, Pierre led the way to the T and back to our hotel. I decided to turn the TV on. The cable channel it was on was showing Degrassi: The Next Generation, which was apparently some sort of sequel to the Degrassi I grew up with. I was enjoying the show, when all of a sudden, someone knocked on the door.

"It's open." Pierre shouted, and in came Seb.

"What are you watching?" Seb asked. Then he saw what was on screen. "Degrassi!"

"I know!" I said excitedly. "That blonde girl, that's Emma!"

"Spike's kid? No way!"

"Yeah, and that kid with the curly brown hair-"

"The one with the camera?"

"Yeah, him. He's Joey's step-son." I told Seb.

"No way!"

"Yes way! And see that guy, the old one?"

"Mr. Raditch! This show is-"

"Amazing, I know," Pierre interrupted. He rolled his eyes; he had never shared mine and Seb's enthusiasm for Degrassi.

"The rest of us are going for Italian on the North End. Are you two coming?" Seb asked Pierre.

"Actually, I already have plans for me and Katie tonight," Pierre told him. "Thanks, though."

"Alright, see you later." Seb left the room.

"So where are we going?" I asked Pierre.

"I'm not telling you," he said, showing me that wonderful grin of his that I had fallen in love with so many years ago. "But I will tell you one thing."

"What?"

"You're beautiful," Pierre informed me. "You really are."

"Thank you."

"So, you know I have plans for us tonight."

"I know. And you said you wouldn't tell me where we're going."

"I know." God, how I loved his smile, especially when it was that sarcastic grin he was using right now.

**********

The TV was still showing Degrassi, but I wasn't paying much attention to it. I was too busy kissing (and, okay, maybe doing a little more than kissing) Pierre.

Eventually, it was time to go out to dinner. I wore a black dress and heels, and carried a small black purse. I put on diamond earrings, which happened to look great with my ring- I guess Pierre knew my taste in jewelry.

Pierre called a cab, and handed the driver a slip of paper which I assumed had the address of the restaurant on it.

"Oh, is it a special occasion tonight?" The cab driver asked Pierre, as we got in.

"Just taking my fiancé out for dinner," he said.

"Lucky woman," the driver said. "And you, lucky, too. She's beautiful."

"I'm the luckiest man in the world."

**********
A few minutes later, we arrived outside a tall building. Pierre whisked me inside quickly, but I was able to glance and see that it was the Prudential Center. Once inside, he led me to an elevator, and punched in 53 for the floor.

"Fifty three?" I said.

"It's the top floor." Pierre told me.

That I figured out. I also figured out that on the top floor of the Prudential Center is Top of the Hub, which is one of the nicest restaurants in Boston.

The elevator didn't stop at all, and soon enough, we got to the fifty-third floor. The doors opened, and we got out of the elevator. Pierre led the way to the restaurant.

"I kind of obsessively read the restaurant guides for Boston. I really wanted to take you somewhere nice." He said as we were about to step in. "I hope you like it."

"I'm sure I will."

Pierre opened the door for me.

"Hi, and welcome to Top of the Hub. Table for two?" The hostess said to Pierre.

"Actually, I have a reservation," he replied. "Charlie Phillips." I raised an eyebrow at him, but followed as the hostess said, "Ah, yes. Right this way."

We followed him to a table and sat down.

"It's such a nice view," I said. We were looking right over the Charles River.

"It really is," he agreed. He put his hand on mine, which was resting on the table. "You know, I was originally going to propose to you today. I've had this night planned out for months."

"So why did you propose at La Fleur?" I wondered.

"I couldn't wait." Pierre admitted. "I just wanted to get engaged to you, and I couldn't wait any longer."

**********

By the time Pierre closed and locked our hotel room door later, he was taking my shirt off. Soon enough, we were lying on top of each other on the bed, completely naked.

"God, I fucking love you Pierre," I said, in between passionate kisses.

"I swear I love you more," he said. More kissing. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I can't live without you." I told him. "Don't ever leave me."

"Never," he agreed. "I love you more than anything in the world."

**********

I woke up the next morning in the hotel bed, with Pierre next to me. Then I realized I wasn't wearing any clothes, and neither was Pierre.

"Pierre!" I said, tapping him on the shoulder. "We used a condom, right?"

"What?" he was obviously tired. "Oh, yeah. Look." He pointed out the wrapper in the nearby garbage can.

"Thank god. I almost had a heart attack."

"Me too. You know, we don't have sound check until this afternoon. I was thinking… do you want to talk about-"

"The wedding?" I interrupted him. He nodded. "Only if you do."

"Of course I do. Let's get ready." Pierre tried to get out of bed, but I pulled him back under the covers when I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I shouted.

"David and Seb!" David replied. "The door's locked. Can we come in?"

"Hold on a minute." Pierre told them. He quickly pulled on some boxers and a t-shirt, and answered the door, opening it just enough so he could see David and Seb.

"Whoa, last night, did you guys-" I heard Seb say.

"Dude, it's not like it was the first time we've done it." Pierre replied.

"Yea, first time we've walked in on the aftermath, though." David said.

"Whatever. What did you guys want?"

"Are you two coming down to breakfast with the rest of us?" David inquired.

"Yea, we'll be down there in twenty. See you then."

"See you." The door closed, and I heard David and Seb walk away.

"I have to shower," I told Pierre. "I'm disgusting."

"I would hardly call you disgusting," he informed me. "But can I shower with you?"

"I suppose," I told him, imitating his sly grin.

**********

Almost an hour later, Pierre and I sauntered down to the restaurant. He was wearing black jeans and a black Role Model hoodie; I was wearing faded blue jeans and a plain black hoodie. Chuck, Jeff, Seb, Pat, and David were waiting for us.

"Nice of you two to come," Jeff said.

"Pierre Bouvier, always on time." Seb added, rolling his eyes.

"That's my name, don't wear it out." Pierre said. "Come on, let's get a table."

"Our party is all here," Chuck told the host.

"Alright, I'll get you seating right now," he said, and took out seven menus, showing us the way to a large circular table.

I sat down at a seat that gave me a perfect view of downtown Boston (or at least, what was going on outside the hotel). Pierre sat to my left. David sat to my right. Then there was Seb, then Jeff, then Pat, then Chuck, on Pierre's left. Soon enough, the waiter arrived.

"Hi, my name is Ricky, and I'll be your server today. Would you like anything to drink?"

"I'll have some orange juice," I said.

"Orange juice for me, too, please," David said.

"Orange juice, please," said Seb.

"Seven orange juices perhaps?" said Ricky. He looked vaguely familiar. There was a general murmur or agreement. "I'll be back in a minute to take your order."

"You know who that is?" I said to Pierre.

"Who?"

"That Ricky I sort of went out with. I told you about him."

"Oh, that jerk that slept with you, then left?" Pierre was remembering, but I could tell that even after all these years, the thought of Ricky left a bad taste in my mouth, just like in mine.

"Yeah, him. Guess he didn't recognize me sitting next to a guy that's not him."


Ricky returned swiftly with our drinks.

"Here you go, seven orange juices. Are you ready to order?"

"I think we are," said Pierre. "Katie, why don't you start?"

"Alright. I think I'll have… an order of chocolate chip pancakes and a side of bacon."

"I'm gonna go with the chocolate chip pancakes and bacon," David said.

"I have to have a stack of chocolate chip pancakes and some bacon," Said Seb.

"I'll have the same," Jeff agreed.

"Me too," said Pat

"And me." Said Chuck. Chuck, Jeff, David, Seb, Pierre, and I all grinned, remembering the time when they had come over to my house and made me breakfast.

We all handed Ricky our menus.

"Alright, I'll take your order to the kitchen." Ricky took a step or two away, and then did a double take. "Wait- are you- you look like" he said, looking at me. "I'm sorry, it's just that you remind me of someone I knew."

"Ricky Jones? From Short Hills?"

"Katie Williams? You… moved?"

"Yes, I did." I forced a grin. "What brings you to Boston?"

"Oh, I'm working on my MBA at Harvard," he said. "What about you?"

"My fiancé's band is touring."

"That's great. Well, you know, I'd love to chat, but I've gotta get this order to the kitchen. I'll talk to you later."

Ugh. I hadn't seen him since that time after our freshman year of high school, but I still didn't like him.

"What does MBA stand for, anyway?" Seb wondered aloud.

"Master of Business Administration." I explained.

"Major Bastard Asshole is more fitting." Pierre said.

"Grow up." I told Pierre.

"But you love the fact that I'm still mentally a teenager."

"I do." I leaned over to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.


A/N- Chapter title is from "Top Of The World" by the All-American Rejects. Top of the Hub is a real restaurant, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment