Thursday, May 7, 2009

1- My Eyes Are Opened Up With Pure Sunlight

**********

I woke up and opened my eyes. I felt different than I had felt the night before, but why? I turned my head and saw the ring box on my night stand, and- how had I not noticed it until now?- the gorgeous diamond ring on my ring finger.

Oh yeah. That's why I feel different. Pierre proposed to me last night. I'm engaged.

I can't believe I'm engaged to Pierre. Oh god.

I had a little crush on Pierre from the first time I met him. Then, after meeting his girlfriend of the time, Molly, I thought it would never happen. I was okay with it for a little while, really. I figured it'd be another one of those crushes where nothing happened. I was almost ready to be over him when things, well, changed. We got together. He thought I liked another guy, so he dumped me, and we got back together; then he hooked up with another girl, and it was three months before we got back together. For the next two years- the rest of high school- we were together. We fought, but only over stupid things.

And then we graduated high school, and Pierre broke up with me. He said he wasn't sure we'd be able to do the long distance thing, or whatever, and while I was in college, he wanted me to be able to be with a guy that could really be there with me.

But we kept in touch. I dated a few guys in college- one of them for over a year- but it just never felt the same as it did when I was with Pierre. But one day, he asked me to be his date to a party, and I said yes. And we've been together since then.

Pierre and I had definitely spoken about spending the rest of our lives together. I knew that I'd never feel the same way about anyone else as I did about him. I was in love with him. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, or at least I thought I did. No, wait. I definitely did. I mean, of course I did. Why wouldn't I? Pierre was the only guy I ever wanted to be with.

Pierre was the only guy I ever wanted to be with, the one I wanted to spend my life with, right? Of course he was.

What am I thinking? It's not like I'm doubting the fact that I want to spend the rest of my life with Pierre, because in my heart, inside, I know I do. He makes me happier and a better person, and I guess I make him feel the same way. No one else can make me feel the same way. No one.

It's not like I knew from the beginning that I'd end up getting engaged to Pierre. It wasn't one of those things where I saw him and fell in love with and started picking out the names of our children, just like that. It wasn't at all like that. I saw him and immediately thought he was really cute, and kind of got a crush on him, but I was barely 15 years old. At that point I wasn't thinking about getting married. Now I'm 25, though, and marriage is definitely on my mind. Pierre was the perfect guy for me when I was a teenager. And I really, really believe that he's the perfect guy for me now. I'm exactly the same person as I was ten years ago. Only, you know, I'm ten years older, and I'm more mature, and I'm better at dealing with my feelings.

I can't believe I'm actually getting married to Pierre.

Then my phone rang. Speak of the devil- it was Pierre.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," he replied. "Good morning."

"Good morning to you too," I smiled. I loved hearing his voice. "What time is it?" I wondered aloud.

"It's a little after 9. I was just wondering if you had any plans for today."

"No, not yet. Why?"

"I thought maybe we could spend the day together," Pierre suggested. "Maybe we could, I don't know, go out for breakfast? There's a few things I want to talk to you about."

"That sounds great, Pierre. When should we meet?"

"Actually, I was thinking like now?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Come to the door," he told me.

"Why?"

"Just do it."

So I came to my door, and there was Pierre.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey." I smiled.

"How are you?"

"I'm great. What about you?"

"Great, now that I'm here with you," Pierre said, and I kissed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment